In Age of Empires, players are able to manage a tribe with their mouse. Command them to build houses, docks, farms, and temples. The player advances their civilization through time by learning new skills. The game allows the player to advance through the Ages: The Paleolithic (old Stone Age), the Neolithic (new Stone Age, or the Tool Age), the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age. If the player would rather get away from the historical aspect, the game offers a random terrain generator and a custom scenario builder.
The game has four resources: food, obtained by either hunting, foraging, fishing, or farming; wood, which must be logged by hand; stone, which must be mined; and gold, which can either be mined or obtained through trade with other players.
As a real-time war game, Age of Empires naturally revolves around gathering resources and producing units.
- Genre: Strategy
- Developer: Ensemble Studios
- Year: 1997
- Pentium 90 processor or faster (P-133+ for 1024 x 768 resolution)
- SVGA with 1 MB RAM
- fast 2D graphics card (2 MB required for 1024 x 768)
- 16 MB RAM
- Win 95 or Win NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3
- 80+ MB HD space (together with the swap file, it’s up to 150 MB)
- 50 MB HD space for swap file (you might have to adjust the settings in the control panel)
- Double speed CD-ROM (quad speed recommended)
- MS/Logitech Mouse or compatible
- sound card for audio
- 28.8 kbps modem for internet play